Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bealach na Ba

On Saturday Tim and I both rode the Bealach Mhor sportive, we rode seperately and din't meet till the finish. It was a lovely day, not too much wind and blue skies, so at just after 9.00 I set off, reahing the first climb after about a mile, but the climb was worth it for the run down to Achnasheen. I then managed to get into a group for the next twenty miles to Lochcarron village, where you hit the first plus 10% climb then onto Tornapress, where the real climb starts, if you've never done it, you really should. Some people go into bottom gear just after the start, but I just went down the gears gradually, definately on the bottom gear well before it got to16%-18%, or more. Normally by the time I get to the haripins I normally find it easier, but not this time, but it was good to get to the top and then the big drop. This year the road was nice and dry so it was a really good decent and overtaking riders on the way down. When you get to Applecross, only half way round the course, don't think the hard stuff is over, it's a fast run up to the mouth of Loch Shieldaig, then it's hard, the climb up the Bealach is like being hit by a sledge hammer, going to Shieldaig is like being hit by a 5 pound hammer, repeatedly, it hurts, after that there's only a few more biggish climbs, then a fast run up Glen Torridon to the finish/start at Kinlochewe.
This is a good wee video of the short version, Bealach Bheag.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5Q5fLPTzVw

Comments