Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turbo Training - Tonight and 2019 Onwards

So I was "volunteered" at the AGM to bring some structure to the remaining turbo nights. I've not had a lot of time to think about this, so for tonight (at least) I will continue based on Chris's excellent 2018 programme.

Tonight will be a 'sweet spot' style turbo workout:

This type of workout is designed to increase your 'FTP' (Functional Threshold Power) basically the steady pace you can maintain on a bike for one hour. For time trialists this is an important measure and is both a strong indicator of fitness and (in a flat) time trial how you will perform.

1. Warm up - progressive 15m starting at 7:15
  2. Sweet Spot Effort At 7:30 sharp: 12 minutes at 10-20% below FTP or RPE scale 5 or 6/10 or at just below Threshold HR Zone
  3. Recovery: 4 minutes
  4. V02 Effort: 2 minute at 10-20% above FTP, RPE Scale 7/10 or in Threshold HR Zone
  5. Recovery: 4 minutes
  6. Sweet Spot Effort: 12 minutes at 10-20% below FTP or RPE scale 5 or 6/10 or at just below Threshold HR Zone
  7. Warm down: 10 minutes
Cadence should be steady throughout the efforts. Try and keep the legs spinning in an easy gear during recovery.

Finish at 8:15 and then circuit training.

Everyone has different abilities. So to get the best out of training you need to ride at an intensity level that challenges you and is achievable. Here is some links for anyone unfamiliar with some of the terms above. Please ask for advice if unsure.

RPE (British Cycling variant)
FTP and ways to Calculate it
HR Zones and calculating

I reckon we have between 4-6 more weeks of Turbo fun and circuit training ahead. So let me know what you want to get out of the remaining sessions and I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

Vince

Comments

• OK sorry guys but I have come down with lurgy and I won't be attending tonight. Here is tonight's workout, enjoy!

March Week 1 Workout

Continuing to focus on FTP with some higher intensity work to mix things up:

• Warm up - progressive 15m starting at 7:15
    • Sweet Spot Effort: 3:30 at FTP or just below / RPE scale 7 out of 10 / or at or just below Threshold HR Zone
    • V02 Effort: 30 second sprint above FTP, RPE Scale 8/10 or above Threshold HR Zone
    • Recovery: 4 minutes
    • Repeat the three steps above 4 times (for 32 minutes total work)
    • Warm down: 10 minutes
    That should be just under an hour. As always you will need to adjust the difficulty to your needs. Then time for the circuits!

Have a good one,

Vince
  • March Week 2 Workout

Focus switches to VO2 and 1 minute power this week:

Warm up - progressive 15m starting at 7:15

Sub Threshold Effort: 3 minutes below FTP / RPE scale 6 out of 10 / or at or just below Threshold HR Zone
    Recovery: 1 minute
    V02 Effort: 1 minute hard effort above FTP, RPE Scale 7/10 at or above Threshold HR Zone
    Recovery: 2 minutes
    V02 Effort: 45 second harder effort sprint above FTP, RPE Scale 8/10 at Threshold HR Zone
    Recovery: 1.30 minutes
    V02 Effort: 30 second tough effort sprint above FTP, RPE Scale 9/10 at Anaerobic HR Zone
    Recovery: 1 minutes
    V02 Effort: 30 second tough effort sprint above FTP, RPE Scale 9/10 at Anaerobic HR Zone
    Recovery: 2 minutes

Repeat the above then

Warm down: 10 minutes

That should last about 52 minutes. The last two sprints should be hard! As always you will need to adjust the difficulty to your needs. Then time for the circuits!
  • It's pyramids tonight... 3m at 70%, 2m at 90%, 1m at 100% Sprint 30 seconds * 4.

• Good session tonight. Thanks Vince
  • Your pain, my pleasure!
  • Last one for March is 'Sprintervals':

Pretty much straight from Chris's book of pain.

3 min @ 60% -> 2 min @ 70% -> 1 min @ 80% -> 30 sec @ 90%
    20 sec sprint with 40 sec recovery (x5)
    5 min recovery
    Repeat x 4

See you all tomorrow!

Vince
  • Though there will be a session next week this is your final session tonight with 'Mr Motivator'. SO make the most of it :)

Focusing on endurance it's over and unders followed by longer sweet spot intervals.

Most TT courses are not pan flat and you push harder on the uphill segments or when into the wind and easier on the downhill or when you have a tailwind. This endurance session mimics the changes in resistance you get in real life:

Warm up
    2 min @ 110% of FTP -> 3 min @ 80% * 3
    2 min at 70%
    5 min @ 90% -> 1m @ 70% * 3
    Warm down

As always you will need to self select the effort so that the workout is challenging for you but can be completed.